Russian Research Institute of Hematology and Transfusiology, 191024, Saint-Petersburg, 2nd Sovietskaya str., 16
The aim of our study was to determine the effect of rivaroxaban on the platelet functional activity.
Materials and methods. Three groups of patients receiving antithrombotic therapy for prevention and treatment of venous thromboembolism were examined. One group received rivaroxaban, the next - antiplatelet therapy, the 3rd - rivaroxaban and antiplatelet drugs. The control group consisted of 30 healthy individuals. The platelets functional activity (the maximum amplitude of aggregation, MA, %) was evaluated by means of induced aggregation using ADP, ristomycin and collagen.
Results and discussion. The functional activity of platelets in patients receiving rivaroxaban increased by the addition of collagen. The appointment of antiplatelet drugs, including their combination with the factor Xa inhibitor, was accompanied by decrease of platelet aggregation with collagen. We didn’t find significant differences between the 2nd and 3rd groups. Therefore, rivaroxaban does not affect on platelet functional activity in examined patients.
Conclusion. Rivaroxaban has no significant effect on the functional state of platelets. Patients with increased platelet aggregation need in antiplatelet therapy to maintain platelet activity at the optimum level.
non – vitamin K antagonist anticoagulants, rivaroxaban, thrombin generation, platelet aggregation, antiplatelet therapy, acetylsalicylic acid
1. Bayer. XareltoR: EU summary of product characteristics. 2013. http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Product_ Information/human/000944/WC500057108.pdf. Accessed 13 Dec 2013.
2. Janssen Pharmaceuticals Inc. XareltoR (rivaroxaban): US prescribing information. 2013. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2013/022406s004lbl.pdf. Accessed 13 Dec 2013.
3. Bayer Pharma AG. [XareltoR] Annex I. Summary of Product Characteristics. Leverkusen: Bayer Pharma AG; 2013. Available from: http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Product_ Information/human/000944/WC500057108.pdf. Accessed November 15, 2013.
4. Janssen Pharmaceuticals Inc. [XareltoR] Highlights of Prescribing Information. Titusville, NJ: Janssen Pharmaceuticals Inc; 2013. Available from: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2013/202439s008lbl.pdf. Accessed December 22, 2013.
5. Mann KG, Brummel K, Butenas. What is all that thrombin for? // Thromb Haemost. – 2003. – Vol. 7. – P. 1504-1514.
6. Perzborn E, Lauge U. Rivaroxaban: an oral, direct factor Xa inhibitor inhibits tissue factor-mediated platelet aggregation [abstract no.P-W-642] // XXI ISTH Congress; 6-12 Jul 2007; Geneva.
7. Shmeleva V.M., Papayan L.P., Silina N.N. i dr. Aktivaciya sistemi gemostaza y bolnih s hronicheskoi serdechnoi nedostatochnostu // Transfyziologiya. – 2009. – T. 10. – № 1-2. – S. 71-72.
8. Grebennikova I.V., Matvienko O.U., Tarkovskaya L.R. i dr. Fynkcionalnaya aktivnost trombocitov y pacientov, prinimaushih «Ksarelto» (rivaroksaban) // Krov. – 2014. - №2 (18). – S. 86.
9. Shmeleva V.M., Smirnova O.A., Matvienko O.U. i dr. Novie laboratornie vozmojnosti monitoringa protivotromboticheskoi terapii // Transfyziologiya. – 2014. – T. 15. – № 4. – S. 29-34.
10. Arachchillage DRJ, Efthymiou M, Mackie IJ et al. Rivaroxaban and warfarin achieve effective anticoagulation, as assessed by inhibition of TG and in-vivo markers of coagulation activation, in patients with venous thromboembolism // Thromb Res. – 2014. – Vol. 11. – R. 1-6.
11. Van Es RF, Jonker JJC, Verheugt FWA, et al. Aspirin and coumadin after acute coronary syndromes (the ASPECT-2 study): a randomized controlled trial // Lancet. – 2002. – Vol. 360. – P. 109-114.
12. WARIS II (Effects of warfarin, aspirin, and the two combined, on mortality and thromboembolic morbidity after myocardial infarction). The XXIII Congress of the European Society of Cardiology.
13. Effects of long-term, moderate-intensity oral anticoagulation in addition to aspirin in unstable angina. The Organization to Assess Strategies for Ischemic Syndromes (OASIS) Investigators // J Am Coll Cardiol. – 2001. – Vol. 37, № 2. – P. 475-484.
14. Mega JL, Braunwald E, Wiviott SD, et al. Rivaroxaban in patients with a recent acute coronary syndrome // N Engl J Med. – 2012. – Vol. 366. – P. 9-19.