The inhibitors of alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenase affect ethylene glycol and ethylene glycol ethers toxicity
E.Y. Bonitenko, Y.Y. Bonitenko
Federal State Science Institution FMBA Russian Federation, St-Petersburg,
Federal State Institute of Public HealthEMERCOM of Russia, St-Petersburg
The main goal was study of separate and combined intraperitoneal administration of alcohol dehydrogenase inhibitor - amide of iso-valerian acid (AIA) and aldehyde dehydrogenase inhibitor - cyanamide affect ethylene glycol, methylcellosolve, ethylcellosolve and its acid metabolites at acute poisons.
It was showed that intraperitoneal administration of inhibitors is the same as only AIA administration. Cyanamide did not affect ethylene glycol, methylcellosolve, ethylcellosolve concentration and led to its acid metabolite concentration decreasing. The lowest concentration of these metabolites were registered at combined intraperitoneal administration of alcohol dehydrogenase inhibitor - amide of iso-valerian acid with the maximum therapeutic effect. The effect was a summation result at cellosolve poisons and potencies result at ethylene glycol poisons.
6. Prozorovskii V.B. Tablichnii metod opredeleniya ED50 (DL50) veshestv s nizkoi biologicheskoi effektivnostu / V.B. Prozorovskii // Farmakol. i toksikol., 1980. – T.43, № 4. – S.733 – 735
7. Tarasov U.A. Vliyanie cianamida na yroven endogennogo etanola v norme i pri giperkorticizme / U.A. Tarasov [i dr.] // Farmakologiya i toksikologiya. – 1988. – T. 51, № 1. – S. 80–83.
8. Cederbaum A.I. The effect of cyanamide on acetaldehyde oxidation by isolated rat liver mitochondria and on the inhibition of pyruvate oxidation by acetaldehyde / A.I.Cederbaum // Alcoh. Clin. Exp. Res – 1981. – Vol.5, № 1. – P. 38 – 44
9. Ghanayem B.J., Burka J., Matthows H.R. Metabolic basis of ethylene glycol monobutyl ether (2-butoxyethanol) toxicyti: role of alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenases // J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. – 1987. – Vol.242, № 1. – P. 222 – 228
10. Loomis C.W. Specifity of hepatic aldehyde dehydrogenase inhibition by calcium carbomide (calcium cyanamide) in rat / C.W. Loomis, J.F. Brien // Can. J. Physiol. Pharmacol – 1983. – Vol.61, № 4. – P. 431–435.
11. Parry M., Wallach R. Ethylene glycol poisoning // Amer. J. Med. – 1974. – Vol.57, № 1. – P. 143 – 150.