Russian Research Institute of Hematology and Transfusiology
Neonatal thrombocytopenia can be caused either maternal platelet antibodies directed against fetal platelet antigens inherited from his farther or platelet autoantibodies of mother having autoimmune disorder and thrombocytopenia. For detection allo- and autoantibodies 347 blood samples of pregnant women (platelet count, less than 150 × 109/L) referred to us from St.Petersburg Haematologycal Delivery Center and 235 blood samples of children with thrombocytopenia (platelet count, less than 100 × 109/L) referred to us from First Pediatric Hospital of St.Petersburg were used. The solid-phase assay was made for antibody detection. Platelet autoantibodies were found among 35,5% pregnant women having thrombocytopenia and among 34,5% children. PCR typing of platelet antigens and detection of antibody was conform that the anti-HPA-3b, -5b, -3a antibodies caused the alloimmune thrombocytopenia among 4 fetus. As result, our investigation shows that neonatal thrombocytopenia can be caused either platelet autoantibodies transmitted from mother having autoimmune disorder or platelet alloantibodies directed against fetal platelet antigens inherited from his farther.
platelet antibodies, neonatal autoimmune thrombocytopenia, human platelet antigens.
4. Kaplan, C. Neonatal Alloimmune Thrombocytopenia: a 50-year story / C. Kaplan // Immunohematol.- 2007.- v.23.- № 1.-P. 9-13.
5. Davore, A. Human platelet antigen-specific alloantibodies in 1162 cases of neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia / A. Davoren, B.R. Curtis, R.H. Aster, J.G. Mc. Farland// Transfusion.- 2004.- v. 44.- P.1220-1225.
6. Marin, L. Alloimmune neonatal neutropenia and thrombocytopenia associated with maternal anti HNA-1a, HPA-3b, HLA antibodies / L. Marin, A. Torio, M. Muro, R. Fernandez-Parra, A. Minguela, V. Bosch, M.R. Alvarez-Lopez, A.M. Garcia-Alonso //Pediatr.Allergy.Immunol.- 2005.- v.16.- P.279-282.
7. Allen, D. Interlaboratory variation in the detection of HPA-specific alloantibodies and in molecular HPA typing / D. Allen, W.H. Ouwehand, M. de Haas, R. Kekomaki, C. Kaplan, P. Metcalf // Vox. Sang.- 2007.- v. 93.- P. 316-324.
8. Evi, Stavrou. Immune Thrombocytopenia in Pregnancy Hematol Oncol. / Stavrou. Evi, R. Keith, Mc.Crae// Clin North Am.- 2009.- December.- v.- 23.-№ 6.-P.1299–1316.
9. Bertrand, G. Prediction of the fetal status in non-invasive management of alloimmune thrombocytopenia / G. Bertrand, G. Drame, C. Martageix, C. Kaplan //Blood.- 2011.- t. 117(II).- P.3209-3213.