State Research Center for Applied Microbiology & Biotechnology.
In the research we used our environmentally isolated strains of Bacillus circulans and Paenibacillus polymyxa that produced bacteriocin-like substances (BLIS) with wide-spectrum antimicrobial activity. Safe and biocompatible polyvinyl alcohol was a key component during film formation.
A potential of BLIS from research bacilli in the composition of polymer films to minimize microbial contamination in foodstuff was shown. Conditions required to produce these bactericidal substances on the practical purpose as a part of antibacterial films were determined. The best inhibiting activity of biofilms was found for BLIS on strains Bacillus circulans.
1. Siragusa, G.R., Cutter, C.N. and Willett, J.L. Incorporation of bacteriocin in plastic retains activity and inhibits surface growth of bacteria on meat // Food Microbiology, 1999. – 16. – R. 229-235.
2. Cutter C.N., Willet J.L. and Siragusa G.R. Improved antimicrobial activity of nisinincorporated polymer ®lms by formulation change and addition of food grade chelator // Letters in Applied Microbiology, 2001. – 33. –R. 325-328.
3. Claus, D. and Berkely, R. C. W. Genus Bacillus Cohn 1872, 174AL. In Bergey’s Manual of Systematic Bacteriology, 1984. - Vol. 2, ed. by Sneath, P. H. A., Mair, N. S., Sharpe, M. E., and Holt, J. G., Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, pp. 1105–1139.
4. Abriouel H., Franz C.M.A.P., Omar N.B. & Galvez A. Diversity and applications of Bacillus bacteriocins // FEMS Microbiol. Rev., 2011. – 35. R. 201–232.
5. Pohilenko V. D., Pereligin V. V. Bakteriocini: ih biologicheskaya rol i tendencii primeneniya // Elektronnii naychnii jyrnal «ISSLEDOVANO V ROSSII» http://zhurnal.ape.relarn.ru/articles/2011/016.pdf. - S. 164 - 198.